Sunday, January 21, 2007

On the river Saskatchewan...*

Dear Laura,

On a lighter note from yesterday...I had a very "northern" experience today.

Ice fishing on the Saskatchewan River! My preceptor (who is like 5 years older than me and very fun) and her boyfriend took me ice fishing with them. It was actually pretty mild here today, only minus 10 or so, and it was a beautiful sunny day. We had originally planned to go snowshoeing, but my preceptor was on call, so we had to be within relatively easy reach of town in case of an emergency. Hence, ice fishing!

We didn't catch anything, but it was fun nonetheless. I wish I had taken a picture of the ice auger - you would have enjoyed that! Anyways, we drilled holes in the ice (okay, I watched that part) and put minnows on our fishing rods and plunked ourselves down in lawnchairs to wait.

And wait.

In the end, we didn't catch a thing, but it was really fun! I even got to ride on the snow machine. (Easily amused city kid, eh?) ;)

I'm sure you'll be shocked to hear....that I got a sunburn. In northern Manitoba. In January. Go me!


Love,
Nikki

*Can you name that tune?

No comments: